Sunday, March 19, 2006

Free tunes for March 19, 2006

Neurosis - Aeon: No other Neurosis song is as epic as this one. From death march (0:00-2:50), to swirling tri-vocal metal assault (2:50-4:40), to spooky spacious ambience (4:40-6:10), to powerful horn-laden doom (6:10-9:00), fading (9:00-10:00) into a melancholy strings-and-piano outro (10:00-11:44). I'd say more about the greatness of Neurosis, but I'll let you listen and judge for yourself.

Amorphis - Alone: This is a band I'm going to check out with my annual CD order later this year. Everything about this band screams mediocrity, especially if you judge them solely within the context of a single genre which they overlap (metal, prog, pop, etc.). However, I've listened many times over to everything I've found from them. Their songs are just so dang catchy.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Mikko Saari said...

Ah come on! Amorphis is far from mediocre. Forget The Karelian Isthmus - that's boring death metal. Tales from Thousand Lakes is good doomy metal, lots of synths and growled vocals. Elegy is brighter, their breakthrough if you ask me. Tuonela is a top two album, excellent tracks (I think Alone was from Tuonela). AM Universum is more relaxed, no real hits but some very good tracks and overall good atmosphere. Far from the Sun I don't have, thanks to copy protection, but the new album Eclipse, with the new vocalist, is absolutely brilliant, probably their best album so far. It summarizes everything they've done really well.

So I guess it shows I really like Amorphis? They have something that really sets them apart. I think part of it is their Finnish folk thing, how the melodies cling to something really deep inside me, something very Finnish.

Just a note from Amorphis-loving board gamer from Finland...

11:08 AM  
Blogger dave said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Mikko. I guess what I'm saying is that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. I'll be buying most of their discography in any case.

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home